You can hardly look at a home décor website or pick up a design magazine without seeing an idea for floating shelves these days.
The trend of floating shelves has been quite strong now for several years-and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.
The Kitchen. The Bathroom. The Foyer. The Bedrooms the possibilities are practically endless for where you can use these types of shelves in your home.
The shelves are so simple and that’s what makes them so unique and so easy to include in your decorating plans.
So, have you seen a few pictures and wondered if they’re something you could add into your own home decor? Have you even thought about taking this design trend and actually using it in your own bedroom?
Today, we are going to take a look at the different types of floating shelves and how you can confidently include them in your bedroom decorating ideas.
Types of Floating Shelves
Floating shelves are defined as shelves that do not show the mounting brackets. The hardware used to mount the shelf to the wall is concealed.
Basically, it looks like they are “floating” on the wall- hence the name. Did you even realize the floating shelves can actually have several different functions?
The floating shelves can hold your favorite pictures. Or they can hold an item you want to prominently display.
They can also display your favorite works of art. You can utilize them as a decorative piece by themselves and choose to keep the shelves bare if you like.
And you don’t have to limit yourself to the top of the shelf either. Underneath is a perfect area to have several hooks so you can hang items, creating additional ways to organize.
Think of all the additional items you can highlight if you have multiple ways to hang them.
Truthfully, you can also have a combination of all these functions if you like.
The floating shelves are generally found to have a more contemporary look. However, there are plenty of designs to choose from that also have a traditional appearance.
For instance, you can find floating shelves that almost look like a piece of crown moulding.
Which Bedroom Should I Install the Floating Shelves In?
In your kid’s bedroom you could use the floating shelves for multiple display options- and don’t forget they can also be quite functional as well!
Here are a few ideas on how floating shelves would work for a kid’s bedroom:
- Flaunt their own artwork collection
- Pictures of siblings, parents, grandparents or friends are perfect for the shelves
- Adorable way to display their book collection
- Display their special keepsakes such as cups, treasure boxes, family heirlooms, souvenirs
- Show off their favorite memento from a trip they’ve taken
- The shelves could hold jumbo letters that spell out their name or their monogram
- If hooks are underneath the shelf then you can use the hooks to hang medals, ribbons or jewelry (think of all the clutter you will be avoiding!)
- Display their different hats from favorite sports teams
There are multiple ways to incorporate floating shelves into your guest bedroom.
- Display your family artwork or special pieces of art
- Display books that a guest would enjoy browsing through
- Showcase mementos from your travels
- Keep the shelf bare so your guest can place personal items on it as needed. These are convenient ways to hold pieces of jewelry, watches, rings, etc.
- Display a vase of fresh flowers or plants so they’ll feel especially welcome
- Place in the closet if extra storage is needed
- If your guest bedroom also doubles as your office or your craft room, use the shelves to keep your supplies organized and out of the way
Why should your kids or your guests be the only ones to enjoy the floating shelves trend?
- Hold boxes that you can use for storage of photos, letters, and other keepsakes
- Display your monogram
- Display your favorite family photos
- Use hooks underneath to hang your necklaces
- Perfect way to incorporate fresh greenery
- Additional shelves could be hung in the closet to create more storage
- If you have a master bathroom then use them to keep your toiletries organized
- Display a mirror
- Showcase your family mementos from special occasions
DIY Floating Shelves-Simpler Than You Think
Now that you have multiple ideas for how you’ll display your set of floating shelves in your bedroom, it’s time to decide whether you’ll purchase them or make them yourself.
The shelves are a surprisingly easy way to DIY. Don’t worry if you’re not a carpentry expert – you don’t have to be in order to design and build the perfect set of floating shelves for your space.
Not only will you end up with the look exactly the way you want it, but you are going to save money too compared to purchasing the shelves from a website.
Building these shelves yourself will ensure both the color and the length will work perfectly within your defined space.
Before you get started on this simple project, decide exactly where you want to hang your shelves in your bedroom.
Don’t forget that you can either group them stacked on top of one another or you can stagger the shelves. Now is also the time to decide what you will use your shelves to display.
The last thing you want to do is hang your shelves only to realize there’s not enough room for your favorite picture in between each of the shelves.
Also make sure to include room if you choose to hang items from underneath your shelf-you’ll definitely need to factor the additional inches needed for the hanging items.
Choose the color that will blend with the other wood tones that are in the bedroom. But don’t limit yourself to only brown, black or white- think outside the neutral box! Shelves are a great way to mix in a new color and try something you might normally be hesitant to attempt.
With all of those points in mind, here are the basic supplies you will need for just about any DIY floating shelf project:
- 2”x10” pine wood (have your home improvement store cut it down for you)
- Sand paper (medium grit)
- Stain or paint
- Invisible Bracket Kit
- Pencil for the markings
Optional supplies also include:
- Hooks (to display additional items underneath the shelf)
You can adjust the size of your shelves based on the size of the wall you’ll be hanging your shelves on.
Keep in mind that you’ll need a shelf with plenty of depth if you are going to display something with significant weight.
Here are the basic steps for building your own floating shelves.
- Have your wood cut to the exact length you need at the store.
- When you are home, you will need to sand your shelves.
- Next, it’s time to stain your shelves. This is where you can really start to get creative. You can either match the wood tones in your bedroom or use a contrasting color stain.
- If you choose to use the space underneath your shelf then now is the time to install the individual hooks.
- Once your shelves are dry, use your drill to attach your invisible bracket kit to the shelf and wall. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully that were included in your invisible bracket kit.
- Measure and use your level for the most accurate fit possible. You want your shelves to align and be perfectly level.
DIY Floating Shelves: Your Soon-To-Be New Favorite
Hopefully, by now, you have imagined how a set of DIY floating shelves could look in one of your own bedrooms.
Maybe you can even envision how they’ll finally give you a chance to display your favorite items. There’s definitely a reason these shelves are so popular and a favorite among designers.
Floating shelves have become quite versatile and can be used in many, many different ways. How will you end up using these ideas for floating shelves in one of your bedrooms?
The hardest part will be choosing how you want to incorporate this fun design in your space.
Whichever way you decide, you will be adding a fashionable design and practical piece to your home décor that you are sure to love for years to come.