Table of Contents
*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether you work on a construction site or just need a simple hammer for a few projects around the house, you want a hammer that will get the job done. Although hammers generally have the same design, not all hammers are the same.There are many options when it comes to purchasing a new hammer. With all the options available, it is important to review the best ones from multiple sources. Here are the best reviewed hammers for all of your building purposes, along with pros and cons to help you make the smartest choice.
[amazon box=”B00079R1YM,B0000224VG,B00FF2TK5Y,B00005QVQL,B01N3QNTCU,B0014DO594,B0079GQXSG,B01CDBXTP6″ grid=”2″]
What To Consider When Buying A New Hammer
There are several factors that come into play when you’re looking for the best hammer to suit your needs. First, think about how often you will be using the hammer. If you only do a few projects around the house from time to time, you will not need a hammer that is extremely durable. However, if you are going to be using the hammer very frequently, you want one that is dependable and won’t break.The type of hammer you need will also depend on what you intend to use it for. A claw hammer is the most common, and will work for all sorts of projects, but there are many other kinds. Tack hammers, for instance, are used for more delicate work like upholstery. You may need a hammer with an extra nail puller for demolition work. If you are doing a specialty project, you’ll need a specialty hammer.You should also take the weight of the hammer into consideration. A heavy hammer will get the job done more quickly, but it will be more difficult to control than a lighter one. It may also put additional strain on your joints if you use it a lot.Price is a factor as well, especially when you are comparing hammers that seem to have similar qualities but differ greatly in cost. Unless you work with tools on a regular basis, you may not want to invest in a very expensive hammer. However, you still want to be confident that a less expensive hammer will be effective, even if you only use it occasionally.As you discover the options available to you, you may think of other factors specific to your needs. Ultimately, the best hammer will be one that makes the most sense when it comes to your personal preferences.
[amazon link=”B00079R1YM” title=”Stiletto TB15MC TiBone 15-Ounce Titanium Milled-Face Hammer” /]
[amazon box=”B00079R1YM” /]
At only 15 ounces, this hammer is extremely lightweight, but promises the driving forces of 24-ounce steel. The manufacturer markets it as a tool that is “engineered for the user.” Buyers on Amazon liked how the hammer reduces strain on the user, due to its power and precision despite the surprisingly low weight.The hammer includes a few other high-quality features as well. The steel face is replaceable, and can be changed within minutes. It also includes a magnetic nail starter, making it much easier to accurately and quickly hammer a nail, and a side nail puller for added convenience. Plus, the molded grip makes it extremely comfortable to use.The biggest drawback to this hammer is definitely the price. It will run you about $180, which is likely due to the titanium, one-piece construction. The price seems excessive. However, if you plan to use this hammer often, possibly every day, then it may be worth it.
- The hammer is comfortable and convenient to use, and it is lightweight yet powerful.
- It is several times the cost of a regular hammer, and probably would not be suitable for someone who will not use it much.
[amazon link=”B0000224VG” title=”Estwing E3 16S 16 Oz Straight Claw Hammer” /]
[amazon box=”B0000224VG” /]
This next hammer has many of the same benefits as the Stiletto TiBone but for a fraction of the price. Like the Stiletto, it has solid one-piece construction, but it’s only $.Wirecutter tested eleven different hammers on their search for the best of the best, and lauded the Estwing as the most reliable choice. The Estwing users they interviewed were seasoned pros, having been in the construction industry for over ten years each. They confirmed that the Estwing is reliable and can withstand many years of hard work. However, there were a few commenters on the same article who disagreed, saying that the balance of the hammer left a lot to be desired.Regardless of the disagreement, it is a simple, effective hammer, and the Estwing appears to be a solid option for both DIY projects and professional work. It is multi-purpose and can manage all types of nails, and comes standard with a nail starter. This is a good hammer for someone who is just looking for the essentials.
- The Estwing is sturdy and well-liked by industry professionals, and the price is low enough that you could feasibly try other options if this is not the best hammer for you.
- Some users argue that there are better options, and that the Estwing is not comfortable to use long-term. Comments on the Wirecutter from users who didn’t like the hammer also preferred various other brands, whichsuggests that Estwing is not the top choice among construction professionals.
[amazon link=”B00FF2TK5Y” title=”Estwing Ultra Series Hammer – 19 oz Rip Claw Framer With Smooth Face & Shock Reduction Grip – EB-19S” /]
[amazon box=”B00FF2TK5Y” /]
Like the last Estwing option, this hammer is forged in one piece, making it unlikely to quit working any time soon. It also has a sleek appearance, with a completely black design and shock reduction grip, which promises to reduce impact vibration by 70%.It’s a bit more expensive – starting at a little more than $$ on Amazon. However, it features rip claw versatility. This means that you have the option to use the regular claw or the convenient nail puller on the side. If you are doing a lot of demolition work like pulling nails or prying boards, it may be worth the price.This particular hammer has a smooth face but a milled face option is available as well. It costs about $15 less than the smooth face, but again, the hammer you choose depends on what you need it for.
- This Estwing is durable, versatile and comfortable. It is also a great framing hammer. The reviews on this hammer are overwhelmingly positive.
- The price is a bit high for a regular home improvement project.The price is a bit high for a regular home improvement project.
[amazon link=”B00005QVQL” title=”Stanley FatMax 51-944 20-Ounce AntiVibe Rip Claw Nailing Hammer”]
[amazon box=”B00005QVQL” /]
The main selling point for the Stanley FatMax is the anti-vibe feature. It isolates vibrations to the hammer’s head, which makes it a lot easier to use for a long period of time as it limits strain on your hands and arms.This hammer also has a very soft grip, so not only does it reduce strain, it is also comfortable to hold. Other hammers sometimes have wood or plastic handles, which are not conducive to a comfortable experience.If you are looking for a lighter option, this is probably not the best hammer for you. This particular Stanley hammer is 20 ounces. If that’s too heavy, there are many other anti-vibe options in different weights on the Stanley website.
- The hammer is comfortable to use and durable enough to last for a long time. It is suitable for regular projects around the house and may be the best hammer for someone less experienced with construction.
- Some Amazon buyers complained that the hammer arrived damaged, but if you purchase one directly from a store that should not be an issue. The price may also be a little bit higher than a beginner would be willing to spend: it is almost $40 on Amazon.
[amazon link=”B01N3QNTCU” title=”Kobalt 20-oz Smooth Face Steel Rip Claw Hammer” /]
[amazon box=”B01N3QNTCU” /]
The least expensive hammer on the list, Kobalt’s steel rip claw hammer is a no-nonsense tool that gets the job done for a low price. It is also tempered to reduce chipping, which makes it a solid choice for a long-lasting hammer.In their reviews of modern-style hammers, Family Handyman approved of the straight, sharp claw and good balance of this hammer.Like some of the other hammers reviewed, Kobalt has a solid steel construction. Steel tends to be the most common choice for high-quality hammers, with the exception of the titanium Stiletto hammer.
- For the low price of $17, this is an all-around great hammer and will likely last a long time. If not, it is a good temporary option.
- There are quite a few one-star ratings on the Lowe’s website, but there are no reviews to accompany them.
[amazon link=”B0014DO594″ title=”Dalluge 7180 16 Ounce Titanium Hammer” /]
[amazon box=”B0014DO594″ /]
Another titanium hammer, the Dalluge is about half the cost of the Stilleto, but it’s still a bit expensive. However, the strength might be worth the price. Reviews noted that it had the same force as a typical steel hammer but was much more lightweight.This hammer also has a great head to handle balance, making it both powerful and easy to use. However, it has a serrated face which may not be ideal for users who prefer a flat face. The handle is also completely straight and made of hickory, which could be uncomfortable not only to grip but to swing.
- The hammer is lightweight, has reinforced claws for strength, and overstrike guard for handle protection. It is as strong as a steel hammer but more comfortable to swing.
- Price may be an issue with this hammer – it’s currently $101 on Amazon – and the handle is wood so there is no guarantee that it won’t chip. One Amazon user also reported that the magnetic nail holder fell out after about a week.
[amazon link=”B0079GQXSG” title=”Wilton 32414 BASH Ball Pein Hammer 24oz Head, 14-Inches” /]
[amazon box=”B0079GQXSG” /]
If you’re looking for a strong, high-quality tool for metal forming, look no further than the Wilton ball pein hammer. This hammer is virtually indestructible, made to withstand the physical demand of metal projects.Comfort is a major factor with this hammer. The handle contains spring steel rods, which combined with the tapered design, eliminate vibration. Meanwhile, the non-slip grip increases safety and comfort while reducing strain on the user.Garage Tool Advisor was extremely complimentary of this hammer, noting its precision and efficiency. They especially liked the hemispherical head which is ideal for setting rivets. They also mentioned that the hammer has a safety plate to keep the head firmly attached to the handle even during heavy use.
- The hammer does what is designed to do and does it well. It is safe, powerful, and durable.The hammer does what is designed to do and does it well. It is safe, powerful, and durable.
- Other than being unsuitable for pulling nails and standard home improvement projects, there are few downsides to this specialty hammer.
[amazon link=”B01CDBXTP6″ title=”Fiskars IsoCore 16 oz Rip Claw Finishing Hammer, 13.5 Inch” /]
[amazon box=”B01CDBXTP6″ /]
The Fiskars IsoCore is great for driving small nails seamlessly into a surface without damaging it. It isn’t really meant for big construction projects – instead, it’s better for putting the finishing touches on whatever you’re working on.With that being said, Fiskars took care to ensure that this hammer is as low-impact as possible for the user. Like other hammers that have been reviewed, it is designed to reduce vibration. This is achieved with an insulation sleeve that absorbs the shock of an initial strike to the nail.
- The Fiskars IsoCore is very easy to use and is good for either small projects or finishing touches. It will not put any pressure on your hands or arms. The price is fairly reasonable at around $30.
- You wouldn’t be able to use it for major projects without spending a lot of time hammering, and it would be time-consuming as a result.
Which Is The Best Hammer For You?
Shopping online can be fast and convenient, but the best way to choose a hammer is often to take a trip to the hardware store.Now that you have a better idea of what brands and qualities you prefer in a hammer, you can find them at the store and test them out in person. Determine if the weight, grip, and balance feel comfortable to you.Using the selections above, you can narrow down the wide selection of hammers and find one that will suit your needs and your budget.